Almond Chocolate Cake
3/4 cup butter
3/8 lb chocolate; broken up
4 Eggs, separated
3/4 cup Caster sugar
1/2 cup Ground almonds; toasted
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. Cream of tartar
1. Melt the butter over low heat.
2. Remove from the stove, add the chocolate and stir once or twice until the
chocolate has melted.
3. Beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until pale and thick.
4. Stir in the melted chocolate, almonds and flour.
5. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until they form soft peaks.
6. Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until the mixture has a meringue
7. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then carefully fold in
the remaining egg whites.
8. Grease and flour a 22cm square tin lined with greaseproof paper and spoon in
9. Bake in a preheated 190'C oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is
10. Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a rack.
11. Dust with icing sugar and cut in squares to serve.
12. Can be served with ice-cream.