The Chocolate Inn contains all
chocolate recipes. Try one today!
Amaretti Chocolate Cake
9 Eggs, separated, room temp.
1 tbsp. Rum, dark
1/4 tsp. Extract, vanilla
1/4 tsp. Cream of tartar
8 tbsp. Sugar
12 oz. chocolate, semi-sweet - melted
6 tbsp. butter, unsalted, melted
3 tbsp. Cornstarch
2 tbsp. Cocoa, unsweetened
2 1/2 oz. Amaretti (about 10 Italian - macaroons), finely ground
Chocolate Cake preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. butter and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
2. Beat yolks until they are pale yellow and form a ribbon when beaters are
lifted, about 5 minutes.
3. Beat in rum and vanilla.
4. Beat whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks.
5. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and continue beating until stiff and shiny.
6. Stir 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate and butter into yolks until well
7. Gently fold in 1/4 of egg whites to lighten the batter, then gently fold in
the remaining whites.
8. Sift together cornstarch and cocoa; combine with ground amaretti.
9. Gently fold into the batter.
10. Divide batter among prepared pans.
11. Bake until centers of cakes rise and tops begin to crack, 18 to 20 minutes.
12. Cool 10 minutes in pans, then cool completely on wire rack (cakes will fall