The Chocolate Inn contains all
chocolate recipes. Try one today!
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Almond Brittle
8 oz. Bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup Sliced almonds, toasted
12 oz. Bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup Unsalted butter, room temp
2/3 cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Instant Espresso powder
1/8 tsp. Salt
6 large Eggs, separated
1. For Brittle: Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil.
2. Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until
3. Pour chocolate into prepared pan; spread evenly.
4. Sprinkle almonds over chocolate.
5. Refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.
6. Break brittle into irregular shapes.
7. For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2-3/4-inch-high sides.
9. Line bottom with parchment.
10. Wrap outside of pan with foil.
11. Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until
12. Set aside to cool.
13. Using electric mixer, beat butter and 1/3 cup sugar in large bowl to blend.
14. Mix in cornstarch, espresso powder and salt.
15. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
16. Mix in melted chocolate.
17. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl with 1/3 cup
sugar until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into chocolate mixture in 2
18. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake cake until set and tester inserted into
center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes.
19. Cool cake completely on rack (cake may fall and appear cracked).
20. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours.
21. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
22. Bake cake uncovered just until warm, about 20 minutes.
23. Cut around cake to loosen.
24. Release pan sides.
25. Cut warm cake into wedges.
26. Garnish with pieces of brittle and serve.