The Chocolate Inn contains all
chocolate recipes. Try one today!
Chocolate Cake with Mocha Icing
2 2/3 cup Sifted cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Dark brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 stick Unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup Light corn syrup
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate -- melted and cooled
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 stick unsalted butter -- room temp.
4 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
3 tbsp. Instant coffee powder
2 tsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. Salt
1. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium-size bowl and set
aside. Place the brown sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer; beat on high
speed about 10 seconds to break up sugar.
2. Add the butter and beat until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand,
about 1 minute.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended, about 10 seconds each
4. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and beat until smooth, about 5 seconds.
5. Beat in the cooled chocolate until well blended and smooth, about 3-5
minutes, scraping bowl sides well.
6. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to chocolate mixture, beginning
and en ding with flour and beating after each addition just until smooth.
7. Pour equal amounts of the batter into three 8-inch round greased and lightly
floured cake pans (1 1/2 inches deep).
8. Bake at 350 degrees until centers spring back when lightly pressed, about 35
- 40 minutes.
9. Remove cake layers from pans to a wire rack and glaze while still hot. Cool
10. spread generously with icing between layers and on top and sides.
11. GLAZE: In a small saucepan combine the water and sugar; bring to a boil.
12. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
13. With a pastry brush, brush hot glaze over the surface and a little on the
sides of each cake layer, using all the glaze.
14. Makes about 1 cup glaze.
15. MOCHA ICING: Cream the butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer on high
speed until very creamy, about 2 minutes.
16. Gradually add the sugar and beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
17. In a separate bowl, combine 1/3 cup of the cream and the remaining
ingredients, stirring until thoroughly dissolved.
18. Add cream mixture to the butter mixture.
19. Beat until well blended and sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes,
scraping bowl well.
20. Thin with a little more cream if desired.
21. Makes enough frosting for one 3-layer cake.